Checklist for Moving in the Chattanooga Area
Two Months Before You Move
- Make arrangements with a professional moving company or, if moving yourself, contact a rental company.
- Visually prepare or design a floor plan for your furniture in your new home.
- Keep all of your paperwork concerning the move in one file, so nothing is lost or misplaced.
- Transfer all school records for your children. If time permits, prepare your new home for arrival. (New paint, new locks, etc.)
One Month Before You Move
- Change your address.
- Change your address with the IRS.
- Make any travel arrangements where you would need an airline, train, hotel, bus or car rental.
- Research the area in which you will be moving for clubs, civic organizations and churches, so that you can change your membership.
- Contact medical and dental offices to receive records, asking them for referrals and continuing prescriptions.
- Establish a new checking account and arrange for credit references.
- Research local laws about home-based businesses and business licenses if you own or operate your own business.
- Make an inventory list of all your belongings.
- Arrange for your pets to be transported. Use/finish household items so that there is less to pack and move.
Two Weeks Before You Move
- Forward your mail, magazines and newspapers to your new address.
- Contact all of your utilities and change your service to your new address. Get refunds on any deposits made.
- Organize those helping you on the day of the move.
- Be Sure to confirm all travel reservations.
- If moving appliances, you may want to make sure they are inspected before the move.
- Pack all clean clothing.
- Close your bank accounts, making sure you have ample cash for the move. The remainder of the funds should be transferred to your new bank.
- Prepare for the move of any infants or small children.
- Review your insurance policy for coverage during your move.
- Provide relatives with your travel information including the route and any overnight stops.
- Defrost your freezer and clean refrigerator.
- Do a final walk through of the home to make sure all of your belongings have been removed. Double check closets, drawers and shelves to make sure they are empty.
- Be sure to take control of all personal items such as jewelry and important documents that are valuable or important to you during the move.
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover the cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in your new city.